Thursday, May 5, 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas

Title: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2)
Author: Sarah J Maas
Genre: Young/New Adult, High Fantasy
Source: Bloomsbury
Goodreads


Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court--but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms--and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future--and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.
Review by Nara

The time has come for another unstructured/stream of consciousness "review". Sorry in advance if it makes no sense, it's way too hard to tame the inner fangirl haha.

My god, that was absolutely incredible.
I only finished reading this book two days ago and I already want to reread it, it was so beautiful.
It had basically everything I could ever have wanted.
It has all these awesome new characters.
And we have the greatest of ships. 
Sarah J Maas, you master of creating romances that you can't help but ship.

It was this close to giving me another book hangover, my second book hangover ever (with my first one from A Court of Thorns and Roses) but I had a crapton of other books to read and just pushed on.
The book I read straight after couldn't even compare.
It was unfair of me to even try to read another book after to be honest.
Sorry, other book.

The writing is exactly as beautiful as you'd expect.
The lovely imagery. The feels!
And the book is so wonderfully long.
600 pages and I wouldn't have minded 600 more.

After the events of ACOTAR, Feyre has changed much as a character, and as you'd expect this means an evolving of the romance.
And it takes the absolute best turn of events.
Something I secretly (or not so secretly, I don't know haha) wanted happened.
After the first book, people were all "if this becomes a love triangle..."
And personally I don't think it's a standard love triangle.
But I guess some people might think it is.
But I feel like that sort-of-love-triangle was what was needed to help Feyre grow as a character.
And what was needed to drive the plot forward.
And what was needed to basically half kill me, it was so sexy.
(I kind of felt awkward reading it in a public place haha)
In any case, I had zero complaints about the romance.
ZERO.

One of the little things I just really really wanted to know in this book was why Rhys looked so shocked at the end of ACOTAR (most people probably don't even remember this scene but it's been stuck in my mind since I finished that book).
Well we finally find out the reason and OH MY GOD IT'S THE BEST.
I was most definitely not expecting to be so delightfully surprised.

Gah I could probably go on forever about how much I love this book and the many, many things there are to love.
But I'm going to stop here because basically, please read it for yourselves.
If you liked the first book to any degree, please read.
If you didn't like the first book, get out.
Haha I'm just kidding. If you didn't like the first book, you should still read this one anyway.
It's actually so much better.
Which is saying a lot because the first book was so damn good.

And you know what?
After writing this review I've realised exactly what I want to do right now.
Time for a reread.

Favourite
Panacea Candidate
Ratings
Overall: 10/10
Plot: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
World Building: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 4.5/5